Competition forgery?

Joske

Old Alpha
Kraganov Razor Xzartax
Now, let me start with wishing gratz to Sweden for their win in the last match and getting passed Benelux.
Yet, the way this was achieved, gives me a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Italy couldn't win anymore and thus decided to go hunt on wrobs.
Instead of putting up a fight like a honorable team, they gave the match away for free.
At Benelux support, a few of us had decide to join Italy support for a fighting chance against Sweden. This is perfectly allowed according to the rules.
Well, the only points scored, were by us.

Now, I know it's Italy's right to back down. No problem with that.
But it is my opinion, either you fight for what you're worth, or you forfeit!
Like this, seeing the main team global enough, just all on the wrong mobs, it was deliberate forgery in my eyes.

I know this thread will probably not make me popular, but it was something that I had to get of my chest.

EDIT: Let me state this for a good understanding: Sweden was a deserved winner. I sincerely gratz them for the nice achievement.
The rant above is really aimed at the acting of Italy, not the winning of Sweden. :)

Last edited:
Now, let me start with wishing gratz to Sweden for their win in the last match and getting passed Benelux.
Yet, the way this was achieved, gives me a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Italy couldn't win anymore and thus decided to go hunt on wrobs.
Instead of putting up a fight like a honorable team, they gave the match away for free.
At Benelux support, a few of us had decide to join Italy support for a fighting chance against Sweden. This is perfectly allowed according to the rules.
Well, the only points scored, were by us.

Now, I know it's Italy's right to back down. No problem with that.
But it is my opinion, either you fight for what you're worth, or you forfeit!
Like this, seeing the main team global enough, just all on the wrong mobs, it was deliberate forgery in my eyes.

I know this thread will probably not make me popular, but it was something that I had to get of my chest.

EDIT: Let me state this for a good understanding: Sweden was a deserved winner. I sincerely gratz them for the nice achievement.
The rant above is really aimed at the acting of Italy, not the winning of Sweden. :)

Looking at previous scores by both these teams, it's pretty clear that Italy's Main Team for 2010 was out-gunned by Sweden. I understand your frustration but I also understand Italy's desire to go out with smiles on their faces rather than struggle like mad towards an inevitable defeat. "Maybe next year" is the best thing I can say. Italy's contribution has always been flamboyant and entertaining, and I look forward to seeing how this capable little team builds it's strength in WoFs to come.

Hurrikane

I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between not showing up and showing up and hunting the wrong mobs? A forfeit (not showing up at all) still allows Sweden to hunt just exactly as they did. Why does anyone care what mobs Italy chose to hunt in a match they were clearly not going to win or even come close to winning? The goal to beat Sweden is unattainable, so why should they show up to beat their head against the wall in their last match? Why not let them enjoy their last hoorah and at least they show up and go for some attainable goal they created for themselves to global on as many different mobs in the 3 hour span that they could? I'm sorry, I understand being frustrated that Benelux got knocked out by Sweden, just seems like you are kicking the cat for lack of anyone better to kick.

Disclaimer: This is my own opinion and not that of "the judges". Normally I would stay out of these discussions because I am a judge, but it irks me that Italy is being singled out here (not just in this thread), in my opinion, unfairly...okay, that and I've had one hour of sleep in the last 36 so my buttons are easy to push atm.

Also, put yourself in Italy's shoes for a moment...they DID show up for all the other matches and DID compete against very long odds through the entire Stage 1, 2, 3 and first two rounds of Stage 4. I'd say they deserve a break here as they decide to do their own thing in what they know will be their last WOF match for the year, and deserve some credit for putting up the effort they did the rest of WOF.

Last edited:
Looking at previous scores by both these teams, it's pretty clear that Italy's Main Team for 2010 was out-gunned by Sweden. I understand your frustration but I also understand Italy's desire to go out with smiles on their faces rather than struggle like mad towards an inevitable defeat. "Maybe next year" is the best thing I can say. Italy's contribution has always been flamboyant and entertaining, and I look forward to seeing how this capable little team builds it's strength in WoFs to come.

Hurrikane

I think the OP would have liked to see Italy go down fighting like Canada did.
Sometimes it can be hard enough to motivate yourself just to login to EU, nevermind to come on to grind out 3 hours in what you know will be a losing endeavor, but my teammates and I found a way. :ahh:

Maybe next year!

I don't see how Italy playing normally would have affected the result really. With the score Sweden got they'd have still won the match.

Italy like to finish with a wrob-match. Think they did the same thing last year if I remember right. They were having fun in their last wof hunt of the year, and that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

That said, unlucky Benelux. Strongest team this year not to reach the semis. You had a really tough group though, hope to see you fighting to go one better next year!

That said, unlucky Benelux. Strongest team this year not to reach the semis. You had a really tough group though, hope to see you fighting to go one better next year!

That's why the games are played and not decided on paper!
A perfect example is this year's NHL playoffs where the two favorite teams, season points leader and defending champions, were eliminated in rounds 1 and 2 by the lowest seeded team to make the playoffs.

I think the OP would have liked to see Italy go down fighting like Canada did.
Sometimes it can be hard enough to motivate yourself just to login to EU, nevermind to come on to grind out 3 hours in what you know will be a losing endeavor, but my teammates and I found a way. :ahh:

Maybe next year!

That is indeed what I mean. Maybe I am just taking things too seriously, but hey once that competition spirit gets fired up, I don't give up until I die.

An example:
With our soc, we would have an event fights most loot wins against another soc. The plan? We shoot 50% Soc boss does the rest and loots.
What happened? Our soc boss couldn't log on. So we were up against players that heavily outskilled and outnumbered us and would have beaten all of us, it they were alone even.
We went for it, with already 2 men less and later a soc member gave up too. 3 vs 6 we fought until the match ended in a heavy loss but our heads held high. And I felt proud I kept going to the end, not giving up even if all hope seemed to be lost.

Now, you're right, maybe I shouldn't expect such a thing. But some kind of forfeit arrangement in the rules, wouldn't be bad.
It may not have given much difference to the fact Sweden won, but it might have given considerable difference to the points taken. Because every global one team takes is one the other team can't take. ;)

As a last note, I don't want to brusque on Italy per se. I really admire them getting this far just as well. I'm merely pointing out how it made me (and other Benelux members, but I speak for me here) feel.
Also I wanted to see what others would think about it.

I'm sorry, I understand being frustrated that Benelux got knocked out by Sweden, just seems like you are kicking the cat for lack of anyone better to kick.

I am not that frustrated for loosing against Sweden at all. :)
I know we put up a hard fight and made them very difficult to go to the next round. I also...and you can read that in the OP...gratz-ed them for their deserved win. I am not a sore looser at all....but if you ask me, going to play on the field of a neighbor or so, wouldn't be accepted in any RL competition either. ;)

I am not that frustrated for loosing against Sweden at all. :)
I know we put up a hard fight and made them very difficult to go to the next round. I also...and you can read that in the OP...gratz-ed them for their deserved win. I am not a sore looser at all....but if you ask me, going to play on the field of a neighbor or so, wouldn't be accepted in any RL competition either. ;)

Yeh, I understand where you are coming from in some sense, but for me the disparity between teams in WoF far exceed the disparity in any serious RL league, and so when I see a team like Italy come in and give it their all and manage to find a way into the top 12 even knowing they have no real chance to make the top 6 I admire that dedication. I've always been a rooter for the underdog :)

If teams like Italy, that fall in the lower end of that disparity, just stop playing then in a few years WoF will be a match for 8 teams from beginning to end. But instead, they show up year after year and give it their best. So if they decide to have some fun in the final match, what does it really matter? It is one of the things that contribute to them coming back each year...that they still have fun doing it.

And I know you gratz'd Sweden and all, but can you HONESTLY say you would have started this thread had Sweden not scored enough points to take 2nd in the group? ;)

And I know you gratz'd Sweden and all, but can you HONESTLY say you would have started this thread had Sweden not scored enough points to take 2nd in the group? ;)

Maybe not indeed :D I'm not gonna lie and say there is no disappointment in it at all, of course there is. I am only human and a proven competition hog :D
But in the other situation I would still have been of the same opinion and might just have ventilated that among friends. ;)
And would be even more disappointed if I would be in team where this happened, but as you say, everyone their fun. And you're right in that of course.

why blow peds on mobs you don't want to hunt in a competition you know you will lose?!?

why blow peds on mobs you don't want to hunt in a competition you know you will lose?!?

Uhm....that 's just WOF. :)

We knew we wouldn't win, we certainly didn't want to hunt mosquitos or foul, but we still did :)

Back