Which is better for EU?

safara

Mutated
Society
The Disturbed Ones
Angel Spike Sunny
Hiya All - speccing up a machine in a budget price range for this game.
Asuming the other specs are the same except for these 2 parameters, which would be better for playing EU?

Intel Core i5-10400F, Nvidia RTX 4060 8GB
or
Intel Core i5-12400F, Nvidia RTX 3050 8GB

I know AMD offer good stuff as well, but there are 2 deals using the above. Go with the beter graphics card even though the processor is a bit lower?

I run EU on an the Core i5-10400F and rarely see more than 10%-15% CPU usage.

I think the better graphics card would be a safe bet for "future-proofing":
  • Intel Core i5-10400F, Nvidia RTX 4060 8GB

Cheers Nevadajake :)

+1 for the better card, CPU rarely bottlenecks

Cpu power is needed for good performance in EU. Even if your CPU says its only 10-15% it may be running on a few cores at 100%

Last edited:
Anything above 1650 is overkill. "Better for EU" is maximising your available budget for PEDs rather than sinking it into hardware which loses value faster than anything. Buy second hand or build a rig from used parts, alternatively a half-decent gaming laptop which draws less power from the wall socket.

A $200 windows laptop from 2010

With CryEngine2 and all other engines always go for a better graphics card.
For games the CPU is never the bottle neck.

To speed up things maybe see if you can get a fast M.2 solid state disc (SSD), here you can save A LOT of loading times and reduce loading stutters.
IMHO Samsung usually has the best cost-performance ratio for most reliable drives (MTBF). Saving 30$ with a cheap shit drive never compensates the hassle of a broken drive.
And always take twice the size you think you would need in 5 years.

CE2 is single threaded and uses one core only, so more multicores make no sense for PE.
The CryEngine overloads its single core only when entering (teleporting to) a new area with loads of new textures (especially with many players).
Once they are all loaded and rendered usually there is not much load anymore.

UE5 is a totally different story.
Nobody including MA knows when UE5 will finally arrive in PE. This can be more than another computer generation away.
Since 20 years all other games are multi core games, with PE being the Loch Ness monster *cough!*, the only living dinosaur still using the old CE2.
UE5 is multi threaded, too, so the load hopefully will be better distributed to multi cores, but I am sure MA will find a way to fuck this up...

Last edited:
Anything above 1650 is overkill. "Better for EU" is maximising your available budget for PEDs rather than sinking it into hardware which loses value faster than anything. Buy second hand or build a rig from used parts, alternatively a half-decent gaming laptop which draws less power from the wall socket.
1080p gamer ay. No thanks this is 2024, graphics need to look clean and crisp even with a old engine.

1080p gamer ay. No thanks this is 2024, graphics need to look clean and crisp even with a old engine.
This is everybody's personal choice ofc but objectively "better for EU" is focussing on its money aspect. This isn't like any other game.

This is everybody's personal choice ofc but objectively "better for EU" is focussing on its money aspect. This isn't like any other game.
Agreed although i do think if you can afford to play entropia at any beyond boreas starting zones you can prob afford to make the game look good ontop of cycling. But each 2 there own. I myself enjoy good quality entropia while i die of bordom pressing F. And by myself i mean my foot pressing f while i scroll tiktok.

Thanks all :) Up and running now.
Some great posts and points!!
Not a lot different in EU on all the highest settings, but other games are like WOW when compared to what I had :D

Back