Fan ART OPALO 3d Printing

Wow those are really awesome!

Yes, 3d printing is cool... but it only makes an original model.. now why don't you take that and make a negative of that and use lost mould sculpture techniques to create a mould to make toys out of other materials than what the printer is spitting out?...
QUOTE]

well i dont know if it makes sens to reproduce a uniqe avatar 1000 times

but with the moob´s in the game it would make sense

but thats a thing MA had to figure out if they want a conection to 3dprinters

It's really too bad FPC doesn't own a printer so they could do likewise and start up a toy company...

Buying RL Opalo SGA tt+50 @ tp!

(joke :silly2:)

In that unnamed multi-million player MMO you can order your avatar in 3D nicely painted too. This has been around for quite long time now. Easy to google that, if anyone is interested for comparision.

In that unnamed multi-million player MMO you can order your avatar in 3D nicely painted too. This has been around for quite long time now. Easy to google that, if anyone is interested for comparision.

you mean this boys??

In another game you can order stickers, buttons, posters, shirts, figurines, etc with your avatar on :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool man!

PS: Don't forget to cover your asses on using MA's copyrighted art.

Pretty cool man!

PS: Don't forget to cover your asses on using MA's copyrighted art.

that´s the reason why this experiment stop now

i dont know if we get one step to far

but shit happens

Well fan art is normally encouraged by companies - free PR!
It's different if you start selling the stuff.

Send PM to Hanne maybe?

Supercool stuff! :)

And, its fine that you do fan-art as long as you do not make a business out of it.

And, its fine that you do fan-art as long as you do not make a business out of it.

thx hanne for the information

Last edited:
ubdated first post :yay:

Bravo got AMP! Very nice work!

Hi folks.

I once asked MA if I am allowed to capture 3D geometry. (I asked Simon The Guide and told him about the program I want to use). The answer was yes for private purpose and no for comercial purpose. So all this is going on without comercial background.

Originally Posted by Hanne|FPC View Post
Supercool stuff!

So um, when is FPC going to start making a business out of it?!? ;)

We will ask MA/FPC.

In generally there are two different possibilities:

1. making models of mobs and weapons, using the 3D-print as negative for an injection mould. That means hundreds or thousands of casts = low price per item
  2. making models of individual avatars as a 3D-print (textured or later colored by hand) in any size up to ~300 millimeters. This means unique statues = expensive price per item.
@Hanne: Don't you think that would be a great improvement?

Ohh ... before you ask: sure we can do 2cm-Jenna Star Mercury-key fobs :laugh:

So um, when is FPC going to start making a business out of it?!? ;)

YESSS!

You are right! Merchandising can flush some additional money to FPC's account :D

(Not to speak of models from earlier times wich are gone meanwhile ... :rolleyes:)

Uhhh wait ... we are at the doorsill of something big ...

What about posters of Fan Art? We had an exhibition in the past at New Oxford ...

@Hanne again: Let's think about such options! I am sure we can find irl partners en masse here to bring up a massive merchandising program.

how much would one of the machines cost on that website... :) i want one :)

If some community members were willing to pay the price of supplies and shipping, would that be permitted? You know - like going to the office supply store to get photocopies made if you don't have a copy machine of your own (I know, stores actually DO make money, but it was the best example I could think of).

If that would be OK, I would gladly pay for the price of materials and shipping to get a 3d cast of my avatar, that would kick ass! Either that, or I second the notion - MinkArk should start offering this service.

If some community members were willing to pay the price of supplies and shipping, would that be permitted? You know - like going to the office supply store to get photocopies made if you don't have a copy machine of your own (I know, stores actually DO make money, but it was the best example I could think of).

If that would be OK, I would gladly pay for the price of materials and shipping to get a 3d cast of my avatar, that would kick ass! Either that, or I second the notion - MinkArk should start offering this service.

would be awesome to have

It all depends to MA/FPC's preparedness to establish such a business. But I'm afraid shipping costs are insignificant compared to the costs of making unique models. At least it depends to where you live ... since we are from European Union ... Americans are the loosers :rolleyes:

But don't talk about shipping costs before we have an agreement with MA/FPC. In Germany we call that "Ungelegte Eier" :laugh: (no clue how to translate it ... sorry)

We will ask MA/FPC.

In generally there are two different possibilities:

1. making models of mobs and weapons, using the 3D-print as negative for an injection mould. That means hundreds or thousands of casts = low price per item
  2. making models of individual avatars as a 3D-print (textured or later colored by hand) in any size up to ~300 millimeters. This means unique statues = expensive price per item.
@Hanne: Don't you think that would be a great improvement?

Ohh ... before you ask: sure we can do 2cm-Jenna Star Mercury-key fobs :laugh:

This could end up being in the same legal category as the RD-D2 replica builders and the Star Wars costume enthusiasts like the 501st. Lucas Film allows them to pass data, sometimes grants access to originals, as long as it's non-profit and their intellectual property isn't cast in a bad light.

The DC R2 club even recently took an R2 Unit for an appearance on behalf of George Lucas to recieve an award in DC!

I've talked with some of the R2-DC members and they were talking about their meetings with the original prop makers. The prop makers were gaga over the fan built R2 units, which are generally far more durable and intricate than the numerous, nearly disposable props that were used in the filming of the movies. :)

I expect Marco would revel in being able to brandish an Opalo in the trade show booth. :)

I expect Marco would revel in being able to brandish an Opalo in the trade show booth. :)

No problems with that. I have the ability to scan Marco with a 3D-Laserscanner as well. That will end up in a Marco-key fob ohhh ohhh ...

Serious folks!

Shall we put some pressure to MA/FPC/RT to bring up merchandising items?

I mean there are a lot of possibilities ... :rolleyes:

Damnit, you're making me want a 3-D machine. LOL

How about making a marber bravo or opalo real life size or close to as separate sections you glue together or something is that possible?
or even better a Tango ME :silly:

aww ok, maybe not such a good idea then
And keep it in cm we both are in the developed world where we use normal methods to measure things ;)

Last edited:
How about making a marber bravo or opalo real life size or close to as separate sections you glue together or something is that possible?
or even better a Tango ME :silly:

Hehe ... it is possible ... but it will take you thousands of $. Shurkamp's machine can handle kinda 30cm models ... ~12 inch I think.

Back