DR almon duchev log part 1 and 2

ATBLOODy

Guardian
Society
PAC
Haven't seen anyone post the whole thing yet, but heres all of it in one thread.Thanks for OLS socmate for looting both parts ( and beeing oblivious :p)

Part 1:

Log 10328:

This is a godforsaken place.

We arrived at the site during the night and set up camp behind some wood covered ridges to the east.Though we can not see the object from here, we can all sense it's presence.The area is so silent with hardly any wind.It is as if even the majestic sky has bowed in silent worship.

The camp was easily built, not like in the old days when all you had was an undersized tent and a few handheld data units for logging.Now it's more like a small village, complete with teams of technicians, researchers, drivers, doctors and chefs.I even have my own private tent; complete with a lab almost as good as the one I have the one I have back at the office.I can understand those who say that field work has lost that exciting sense of adventure it once had.

The old knee is at it again, hurting quite a bit to be honest.I can still walk on it, but not much more.I am fully aware that this may be my last real excursion as these old legs of mine might not be able to carry me into the field for many more years.I had the usual 'pep talk' with Greg before i left and he almost said it out loud this time.Not that he had to really,I already know

Even if he's right - even if this is my field trip - I am more that willing to make it a grand finale.The subject is more than promising, harbouring all the intriguing mystery of this new and alien world.Tomorrow we will travel to the site to begin our studies.Ivan, Catherine and I will be the ones to approach the object.At least she convinced me to let Reilly take us there in the truck this time.

I don't think i will get much sleep tonight.God knows what we will find.

Log 10329:

The short journey was just as bumpy and uncomfortable as Reilly promised, but in hindsight it was worth every second of it.

My god, it is absolutely beautifull.I realize now that the reports from the Minopolis scouts don't come anywhere close to describing just what it is I am looking at now.

The strange object is maybe 10 meters in diameter, it's hard to tell from a distance.Shaped like a perfect orb... jet black surface with only a hint of reflection.It hovers a few meters above ground, and just as the scouts reported it seems to be... pulsating slowly, almost as if.. breathing.

We are still one hundred meters from it as we do not want to risk exposure to any unforeseen radiation.Our sensors only detect a faint distortion in the magnetic a40 to c50 range... but... We will have to come back tomorrow with all the necessary protective equipment.Right now I just want to stand here and gaze at this wonderfull object.What can have caused this?What placed it here and why here?Aliens?Nature? I can't wait to begin my studies.

It was Catherine that pointed out to me what i should have noticed as soon as we arrived; there don't seem to be any birds in the area.I can only guess as to why.I honestly don't know what I would do without her.I am not a youth anymore and it becomes more and more appearant every day that i need her alert senses and her unwavering intuition.Maybe one day i will be able to tell her just how much.

[ERROR 28!. CORRUPTED DATA WARNING #557: UNREADABLE INFORMATION HAS BEEN REMOVED!]

Part 2:
[ERROR 28!. CORRUPTED DATA WARNING #557: UNREADABLE INFORMATION HAS BEEN REMOVED!]

Log 10330

Today we managed to get closer to the orb.
Dressed in protective gear from head to toe like ridiculous astronauts we made our way up the hill untill we stood right next to it.I'm not actually certain we need the suits, but i don't want to take any chances.

I can not properly describe the feeling of standing there...I, and educated man, who has never been at a loss for words, found myself totally speechless, unable to open my mouth for several minutes.Ivan felt the same, I know, and probaly Catherine as well.

It took us almost two hours just to set up the equipment, do some initial visual observations, arrange the sensors and begin data collecting.The surface seems impenetrable and if i should touch it i know it would be cold.I don't know why..i just know.

After performing some initial scans of the surface I found to my great suprise that our database found a match almost immediatly.There were no specifics, but still, a match of some sort.To begin with I was almost a bit dissapointed as i had expected something as utterly fantastic as this to be totally alien, but then i started thinking.Somewhere deep in the database there must be a similar record, perhaps someone, long ago, found something like this before.I must get on the uplink and check the colony database as soon as i get back to the camp.

The day just flew by.Suddenly i looked at my clock and it was already late in the afternoon.I feel just like a hopefull, impatient child on christmas...It was a long time since I felt that way.

Log10331

I was right!

The sky opened up this morning and the rain was so severe that we reluctantly decided to postpone our studies until tomorrow.Instead i sat all day in my lab digging through tons of data from the colony database.Initially it seemed like a hopeless project, I didn't even know where to start looking.I could feel myself getting that frustrated feeling again, even though Catherine always tells me i have to stop beeing so impatient.The slow data link did nothing to help.

But then i found it.Finally!.Several years ago a professor jensen went deep into the western eudoria wastelands and sent back strange, confused, disconnected reports of a huge black object.Jensen himself disapeared, but all of his reports are here, a sadly forgotton treasure chest of data and observations.Most of it is hopelessly corrupted though.I can try to have the computers clean it up, but it will take some time to make any real sense of it.

But still.There must be a connection... There must be.

well you have a point about that :)

Dr. Almon Duchev Log Part 3

[ERROR 28! CORRUPTRD DATA WARNING #557: UNREADABLE INFORMATION HAS BEEN REMOVED!]

Log 10332:

Today we found something else. I do not know where to begin realy as I have never seen anything quite like it in my whole life. During a break in our studies Ivan ventured out into the woods on the other side of the orb. When he came back, the poor man's face was as pale as a ghost. I have known him both personally and professionally for many years, but have never seen him so shocked.

It took him several minutes to just regain enough self control to stop trembling. Since he refused, or rather was unable to tell us what he has seen I decided that we should explore for ourselves. We didn't have to go far before a horrible, revolting stench hit us. So strong we had to wear our masks.

In a small clearing in the woods we found them - argonauts. I wasn't even sure they were actually argonauts before I dared to go closer and have a better look. There were hundreds of them - all dead. Some of the horiffic mutilated carcasses were skinned like pigs. Most showed signs of being having been eaten upon, their dismembered bodies and limbs forming sickening patterns laid on the gound, hung in trees in an almost ritual manner.

I didn't tell the others, but I know. I have no idea how but I know it was them.

They ate each other.

Log 10333:

I have begun making some sende of the first snippets of data from Jensen's distorted reports. Apparently he was one of those adventurous researchers, traveling the lenght and breath og the continent, exploring every inhospitable, hostile corner of it.

Years ago he took a team to the western regions of Eudoria. The terrain was horrible and they where getting desperatly low on resources when they discovered the object on a desolate, cracked plain. Jensen immediately began collecting data from it. He describeds it as a 'perfect sphere. So dark it seems to reflect nothing but the darkest night'.

He was exited. I can tell. Just like me.

[ERROR 28! CORRUPTED DATA WARNING #557:
UNREADABLE INFORMATION HAS BEEN REMOVED!]

wow... i was trembling reading that... is log 4 out yet? will kepp looking

Back