*Automated Spooler*-01/??-Alt.Net.Underground

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
Intercept detected: reposting via underground P2P ad hoc Net

Begin entry: 2005.11.14
Note: If you are reading this, it is most likely that I am no longer among you; I have instructed my system to post it to the 'Nets only when it will not endanger me. I am writing this "huddled" in my soulcubicle on Exodus, waiting for my case to be processed and my new life to begin. What follows will necessarily be a brief reconstruction of events as best I can remember them, for the original account was lost when our ship was destroyed en route to Calypso. It seems I don't find the downloaded state as disconcerting as many people do. There must be something to be said for comprehension of the technology at play, and if anyone can claim that, I suppose it is I.

For introduction it will suffice to state that my name is of no consequence — it is merely one of countless destroyed by the senseless intrigue and corruption that seem to be omnipresent parasites of our corp civilization. However, I feel it worthwhile to expose the truth about what has happened to me as I made my small but hopefully meaningful sacrifice to the cause of humanity.

My origins were in a small farming subsidiary of Chikara corp with operations near the Rocky Mountains and Snake River of North America, Earth. It is a tragedy that so few of humanity in this age are so lucky to see open green expanses, much less walk through them: in spite of the meager income trickling down to my parents it was, in many ways, a charmed existence.

My fascination with the green living things of Earth was surpassed only by the draw of the unknown, the void. The rumor of a new haven of life, real life, out among the stars grabbed me, gripped all of us with anticipation and hope. I thought it pure serendipity when the corporate recruiter appointed me to the corp technic school. What could be more exciting than being a part of the coming wave of technology and discovery?

The excitement stayed with me throughout the indoctrination. Blueprints and equations and wonder seeped from the day into my dreams -- and so did Lirio. She was taboo, but there she was: stuck in my mind. Perhaps you have heard of Pesado? A superdense turd of a planet, Pesado is one of the dozens of mistakes of colonies perpetrated by the greed of corporate mentality — and one of the worst. The colonists had to sign a death sentence to land on Pesado, to throw off humanity. I didn't know this when I encountered her, my first Pesano, of course — all I knew was that I had heard an angel sing. Growing up in that dense atmosphere, her musical gifts had taken on subtleties beyond mere human capability: her singing could bring a stone to tears.

That's why she was allowed Earthside, of course (the all-powerful Credit). It's not even a surprise to me anymore to see laws bent or broken at the whim of a corp, but at the time I was still naiive. I didn't even know that the Debits were showing up on my record every time I contrived some reason to pass through the xenohabs to see her; I just found life more and more worth living.

It all came crashing down at the end of my indoctrination course.
End entry: 2005.11.14

Back