Chapter 10: Fever Dreams

Ranavolana

Old Alpha
Society
Team Varyag
Louise Ranavolana Brooks
I don't know where this one came from - I had forgotten I wrote it, seems a bit weird, even for me. Maybe was a RL Fever Dream?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another dawn on Arkadia. It does not break so much as gently manifests.

Beautiful, glorious, unearthly.

It has been such a long time since I was on earth. Yet I still think in earthly terms. Even now I consider myself an earthling

In fact on much of Arkadia I could think I was still on Earth, a cleaner fresher earth. The landscapes, the vegetation

Though the creatures, when one comes upon them, are a bit of a shock – but even then one can draw a similarity to earth creatures (often with some difficulty). Certainly not the stars and sun though.

But here in the desert far from anything in this forsaken yet strangely beautiful wilderness, the spirit of Arkadia reveals itself. It is the crystals I think, they lead this song, from those that appear as unformed piles of stone to the ones perfectly formed that pulse with an inner fire – each all add their own tone to what I can only think of as a song – it is much more than that though. A pure yet erotic even feeling of peace, rest, and yes, oblivion.

I have been on this mission for far too long and am approaching mental & physical exhaustion and I am beset with doubts to the point of despair of the effectiveness of what I am doing.

But the Arkadian Dawn revives and restores me I feel – to keep moving, keep trying, just one more day – by day – by day.

Fragments of verse float through my mind

“A book of verse/a flask of wine and thou/ singing beside me in the wilderness/and wilderness is paradise now”

The Dawn revives me But I am not a paradise! Not at all – and appearing in front of my position I can see the reason. How can I describe them in a way that shows my dislike, disgust even – fragments from another poem “these slythey toves that gyre and gymbal on the wabe”. Is a good start.

And I don’t know what causes these feelings – It is not as if they are intrinsically ugly – But while we would consider a Tiger magnificent, we wouldn’t think so of a chimpanzee.

They are so like us, but their proportions, the way they move, the sounds they make. Its like they mock us just by their existence.

But my feelings of hate disgust and yes fear. Yes I fear them, not so much for what they are (one could almost pity them for their situation) but for them signposting the way to our fate. Part of another poem “The sheeted dead/that shriek and gibber in the streets of Rome”.

I see them as dead – not in the graceful way they move, I consider them to be more capable and even more intelligent than us. But their individuality, their free will – where is it? They operate under an overwhelming compulsion and control but who is doing the controlling. It seems that the controllers are “missing in action” as it were.

That there are whole chapters of the Playbook for the control of these creatures that have been lost – and they are performing actions that have become meaningless, ritualistic even.

Thank God for that – we are having great difficulty in overcoming them in their present confused and benighted state.

What would happen to us if they got their act together?

Well, let’s get it together – I am hunting them as part of our great “Operation Payback”

And yet confused and unorganised as they are – I am well aware

They are hunting me.

I watch them move in their random yet seemingly pointless and repetitive quartering of the area I am aware of several things.

That underneath the crushing & stultifying burden of compulsion imposed on them, maybe, just maybe, there are some small random places where their individuality still clings, and that in those small insignificant pockets of self, they also long for & love the beautiful song of Arkadia’s Dawn – that it revives them in the same way it revives me.

I have read stories of haunted places where it seems that once it occurs to a person that a place may be haunted – that manifestations of ghostly “incidents” then increase. Were they always happening but just not noticed? Or, was the noticing calling those incidents into being? It seems to be happening here. I just noticed another one suddenly “pop” into existence. And when I have killed one, their corpses just fade out of existence. There is a lot happening on Arkadia we just do not seem to understand.

So who is doing the haunting? Playing the malevolent spirit? Could it be me in that role threatening them? The way they act it almost seems that way.

With all the enhancements I have received I am aware of them much sooner than they are of me. To them I must appear as an unidentified but very real threat growing ever closer, felt & maybe glimpsed in the shadows, out of the corner of their eye and when I do appear – the odds are they will die. Not that they care – in fact they are given no choice by their masters. They see me they attack without any concern of their survival

Back